(n. p.): 1920. One sheet, printed both sides, folded 3x to form a 6 panel brochure. 4 panels of text. Interior - "Compiled Map Showing Properties of the Eureka Mining District Eureka County Nevada." "From Patent Surveys, Official Records and other reliable data." Map: 11-3/4" x 18-1/2". Brochure: 9-1/4" x 4-1/16". Now housed in an ephemera sleeve with white stiff stock backing board. Age-toning, primarily along fold lines. A VG+ copy. Item #51173
Eureka, Nevada was the nation's first important silver-lead district, and was Nevada's second richest mineral producer during the 1800s. Sometimes called the "Pittsburgh of the West", Eureka was the West's largest and most important smelting center. At the height of activity, xixteen smelters operated just outside town, treating ore from over 50 active mines. However, water in the mines became a problem in 1881, requiring expensive pumping that drove production costs up. The ore was still rich however, and the Eureka mining economy soldiered on until 1885 when the bonanza ore bodies were finally exhausted. Leasers now took over many of the mines, and Eureka's boom years were winding down. In 1890 the district's largest smelters closed. Later, by the time this brochure as published, ore was shipped to a smelter in Salt Lake City, Utah.
Two of the largest concerns in Eureka were the Richmond Mining Company and the Eureka Mining Company. This brochure highlights the concerns of the Eureka Uncle Sam (Hamburg) Consolidated Mining Co. and Eureka Croesus Mining Company.