France: Published by the Calouste Gulbenkian Foundation through the Trianon Press, 1959. First edition. 1 of 1000 copies. 77 plates, including one double-page; 50 photographs, including two double-page photo-montages. 4to. Brick red cloth w/ dustwrapper. F/F. Item #4991.1
The Brandberg was first mapped in 1917 by German surveyor Maack, who discovered the White Lady. This map remained the only one available for this region until 1955. Breuil camped in the Brandberg in 1947 and again in 1948. This volume documents a great number of the painted rock shelters clustered near the White Lady. A separate chapter also documents recent discoveries in the upper and wester reaches of the Brandberg, with 39 more photographs and copies of painted rock sites, some of considerable importance.