Meadville, PA: Keystone View Company, (n. d.). Ca 1913. Descriptive text to card verso. Stereo image of the steel piping used as a water conveyance. Oblong format: 3-1/2" x 7". Now housed in an archival mylar sleeve. A VG+ example. Item #46718
The aqueduct project began in 1905 when the voters of Los Angeles approved a US$1.5 million bond for the 'purchase of lands and water and the inauguration of work on the aqueduct'. In 1913 the City of Los Angeles completed construction of the first Los Angeles Aqueduct.
The aqueduct as originally constructed consisted of six storage reservoirs and 215 mi of conduit. Beginning three and one half miles north of Black Rock Springs, the aqueduct diverts the Owens River into an unlined canal to begin its 233 mi ourney south to the Lower San Fernando Reservoir [later renamed the Lower Van Norman Reservoir]. The aqueduct uses gravity alone to move the water and also uses the water to generate electricity, which makes it cost-efficient to operate.
The construction of the Los Angeles Aqueduct effectively eliminated the Owens Valley as a viable farming community and eventually devastated the Owens Lake ecosystem.." [Wiki].