Item #51352 HAMILTON COLLEGE. Famous Old School of the Blue Grass Region for Girls and Young Women. Thirty-Sixth Year.; Cover title: Hamilton College. / 1904 - 1905. College Promotional Brochure, Mrs. Luella Wilcox - President St. Clair, 1865 - 1947.
HAMILTON COLLEGE. Famous Old School of the Blue Grass Region for Girls and Young Women. Thirty-Sixth Year.; Cover title: Hamilton College. / 1904 - 1905.
HAMILTON COLLEGE. Famous Old School of the Blue Grass Region for Girls and Young Women. Thirty-Sixth Year.; Cover title: Hamilton College. / 1904 - 1905.
HAMILTON COLLEGE. Famous Old School of the Blue Grass Region for Girls and Young Women. Thirty-Sixth Year.; Cover title: Hamilton College. / 1904 - 1905.
HAMILTON COLLEGE. Famous Old School of the Blue Grass Region for Girls and Young Women. Thirty-Sixth Year.; Cover title: Hamilton College. / 1904 - 1905.

HAMILTON COLLEGE. Famous Old School of the Blue Grass Region for Girls and Young Women. Thirty-Sixth Year.; Cover title: Hamilton College. / 1904 - 1905.

[Lexington, Ky ?]: [1904]. 1st printing (presumed). Unpaginated, though 16 pages. Last page an advertisement for the school, offering prospective students "splendid commodious buildings, NEWLY REFURNISHED.. Improvements to the amount of $15,000 made during summer 1904. Beautiful new dining hall....", signed [in print] by St. Clair. Illustrated with 3 full-page, captioned b/w half-tone photographic images of divers campus buildings. Landscape format: 3-3/8" x 6-1/4". Green paper covers, gold stamped lettering to front cover, stapled. Now housed in a clear archival mylar sleeve. General wear & soiling. A couple faint creases to covers. A VG item. Item #51352

"Hamilton was founded by banker James M. Hocker in 1869 as the Hocker Female College. In 1878, a substantial donation by William Hamilton was recognized by the school changing its name to Hamilton College. In 1889, the nearby Kentucky University, which later changed names to Transylvania University, bought a stake in Hamilton, taking total control in 1903. The school became a junior college for women, the state's first, still with its own president and faculty, though affiliated with Transylvania." The college closed during the Great Depression.

Luella Wilcox St. Clair Moss was an American educator and suffragist. She was one of the first female college presidents in the United States. Educated in the public schools, Moss was the first female graduate of Virden High School and the valedictorian of her class. In 1885, after one year's study, she received a Bachelor of Science degree from Hamilton College. Having earned a teacher's certificate at the age of 17, she stayed on at the college to edit the college literary journal, The Hamilton College Monthly. In 1886 she married Franklin P. St. Clair, the business manager and instructor in Latin and mathematics at Hamilton. Her husband died in 1893... In 1903 the educational reformer Kentucky University president Burris Jenkins, a graduate of Harvard University and Bethany College (West Virginia), recruited St. Clair to serve as the new president of Hamilton Female College in Lexington, Kentucky. She became active in the suffrage movement, with Jenkins supporting St. Clair's ambitious efforts and the College grew at an unprecedented rate: a 47% increase in student enrollment within the next decade and new faculty for music, art and the newly designed domestic sciences curriculum—while at the same time introducing sports such as basketball and hockey. St. Clair's leadership impacted the school such that in 1916, several years after she had left, many of the Hamilton students and the staff hired during St. Clair's tenure as president, marched in the state's largest suffrage parade." [Wiki]

Here offered a rare promotional brochure for Hamilton College, issued shortly after this phenominal woman, Luella St. Clair, assumed the position of college President.

Price: $175.00