San Francisco, Cal: A J McDonald, (n. d.). Ca 1890. Photographer imprint lower left; photographer location lower right. Image caption, "Old Spanish Church (Monterey)", stamped directly under image. Verso blank. Albumen photograph Landscape format: 5-1/8" x 8-3/8". Off white, scalloped-edge mount. Now housed in a clear archival mylar sleeve. Hint of fading & yellowing to image, light soil & age-toning to mount, Very Good. Item #51202
The actual name of this pictured church is the "Cathedral of San Carlos Borromeo (Spanish: Catedral de San Carlos Borromeo), also known as the Royal Presidio Chapel. The cathedral is the oldest continuously operating Catholic parish and the oldest stone building in California. It was built in 1791-94 making it the oldest (and smallest) serving cathedral in the United States, along with St. Louis Cathedral in New Orleans, Louisiana. It is the only existing presidio chapel in California and the only existing building in the original Monterey Presidio." [Wiki]
McDonald to San Francisco in mid 1887 and began to publish CA images; joined by his son, George A. McDonald in 1892. Cf. Luminous-Lint website.
A check of OCLC shows just one other McDonald image, that at UC Berkeley.