[San Francisco ?]: 1897. Stiff grey card stock as mount, with textured margin to recto. Photograph: 6" x 7-7/8". Mount: 8-3/8" x 10-7/8". Now housed in an archival mylar sleeve. Minor wear, soiling & age-toning to mount, Very Good. Annotated "Marilyn Blaisdell Collection 1975" in blue pen to top of mount verso. Photograph, clear & sharp, with excellent detail. Nr Fine. Item #50468
"In 1895, the California Legislature appropriated $250,000 for the "Affiliated Colleges" of the University of California to be located on a 13-acre site overlooking Golden Gate Park. The land was donated by the city's mayor, Adolph Sutro, and the site was designed by architects Krafft, Martens and Coffey to house Sutro's extensive library collection, and to be used for the University of California's colleges of medicine, dentistry, pharmacy, veterinary medicine, and law.
The cornerstone of the medical school was laid on March 27, 1897, in a driving spring rainstorm. Beverly Cole, who by this time had been elected President of the American Medical Association, passed out champagne bottles.
The completed Romanesque stone buildings of the Affiliated Colleges lined Parnassus Avenue. The Colleges of Dentistry and Pharmacy occupied the building on the left (east), and the College of Medicine was based in the building in the center." [UCSF Website].