South Hanover: Printed by James Morrow, 1837. 1st Printing. A variant? Cf American Imprints 44664 & Byrd-Peckham 690, which record a 16 page catalogue by this same name. 7, [1 (blank)] pp. 8vo. 8-1/4" x 5-1/8". Lacks wrappers, now housed in an archival mylar sleeve. Foxing. Age-toning. Very Good. Item #49324
"Founded by Crowe in 1827, Hanover College experienced a turbulent early period. In the early 19th century, missionaries went to Hanover as part of the Second Great Awakening. Crowe served as pastor of the Hanover Presbyterian Church. He opened the Hanover Academy on January 1, 1827, in a small log cabin near his home. Two years later, the state of Indiana granted the Academy a charter. On November 9, 1829, the Academy's Board of Trustees accepted the Presbyterian Synod of Indiana's proposal to adopt the school, provided a theological department was established. A two-story brick building was constructed to house both the Academy and the new Indiana Seminary. The state of Indiana issued the Academy a new charter, creating Hanover College effective January 1, 1833. Under this charter, the college's board of trustees is independent of ecclesiastical control, but it has formally adopted the standards for Presbyterian colleges for Hanover. The association continues to this day.
In the 1830s, the College Edifice (now serving as the Hanover Presbyterian Church) was the center of a bustling, 3-acre campus. In 1834, 119 students attended Hanover Preparatory School (formerly Hanover Academy) and 101 students attended Hanover College, rapid growth from the six students of only seven years earlier." [Wiki]
An early catalogue documenting the rise of this prominent Indiana educational institution.