[Shanghai ?]: 1911. 1st Printing. Single sheet, printed recto only, with the menu in French and English, in two side-by-side columns. Typographical border. 11-3/8" x 8-5/8" Now housed in an archival mylar sleeve. Age-toning. Minor extremity wear. Fold-lines. Very Good. Item #48948
"In 1846, Peter Felix Richards opened one of the first western restaurants in Shanghai and the first western hotel in China, south of the Yangkingpang (Yangjingbang) creek on the river front on The Bund facing the Huangpu River near Jinling Road East, in the Huangpu District of Shanghai, in what became in 1849 the French Concession. Named after its founder, Richards' Hotel and Restaurant ("Licha"; Lee-zo) was 'a single and ordinary building', in the Baroque style that targeted initially the seafaring clientele that made up the bulk of travelers to 19th century Shanghai. ... By 1859 the hotel was renamed (in English) the Astor House Hotel, while retaining the original Chinese name until 1959. According to actress Grace Hawthorne, who stayed at the Astor House in 1894: 'The man who named it, some thirty years ago or so, had been to New-York and found in the Astor House a model of elegance and hotel excellence. He returned to Shanghai, and forthwith named his hotel the Astor House.'" [Famous Hotels Website].