[Annapolis?]: (n. d.). 1st printing, ca 1864. Card printed recto only. Now housed in an archival mylar sleeve. Modest wear. Small circular blindstamp of the Western Reserve Historical Society [deaccessioned status confirmed]. Overall, Very Good. Item #48126
"The USSC established offices and storehouses, and homes for soldiers and their relatives, throughout Maryland during the war, in Annapolis, Baltimore, Frederick, and Sharpsburg. The main purpose of these USSC stations was to collect and provide supplies for use by army hospitals and regiments in the field, and to support relief of the wounded following major battles. They also assisted discharged and disabled soldiers and their families with additional aid such as lodging, meals, and discounted transportation fares.
Annapolis became an important military hospital center and transit point during the Civil War, due to its easy access to Washington and Baltimore by rail, and to other points north and south by ship via the Chesapeake Bay. ...
The USSC provided general and special relief services at Annapolis. Rev. H.C. Henries was in charge of issuing supplementary supplies to hospitals in the area and at Camp Parole. .... In addition to distributing supplies to hospital staff, agents also visited and worked with soldiers to make sure any special needs were met.
In July, 1863, Frederick N. Knapp, head of the Special Relief Department in Washington, instructed Henries to open a Home to provide temporary shelter and food for the visiting wives, mothers and children of soldiers. Many of the women had traveled great distances on urgent notice and could not easily find or afford public accommodations in town. The Home, under the care of a matron, was located on Conduit Street; it opened in July, 1863 and ceased operations in 1865.
On May 25, 1864, Henries was relieved of his duties and J. Addison Whitaker was appointed superintendent of relief operations in Annapolis. Whitaker served until December 7, 1864, when he was succeeded by C.F. Howes who served until May, 1865. William H. Holstein was in charge when operations ceased in the fall of 1865." [Maryland archives of the USSC, held by NYPL].