(n.p.). c. 1917-1920. (?). 1st Printing. 24 pp unnumbered. Approx. 9-1/2 x 6-1/4". White card stock wrappers, printed in dark green with a red rule around each page. All menu items have been hand written in black ink. Stitched together with white string. Now housed in a mylar sleeve. Some soiling and age toning to leaves, corners lightly bumped. Overall, a bright, legible VG copy of this extensive wine list. Item #47839
About 500+ wines are listed throughout this little booklet. Categorized with 10 pages of "Vins Rouges", 2 pages of "Vins Rouges (Demi-Bouteilles), 2 pages of "Vins Rouges (Magnums), 3 pages of "Vins Blancs", 2 pages of "Bourgognes", 1 page "Champagnes", 1 page "Champagnes (Demi-bouteilles) and ending with 2 pages of "Liqueurs".
Le Chapon Fin still exists today as does the incredible wine cellar which they do tours of! We found a little blurb about the restaurants history on the website:
"Immediately after the French Revolution, part of the central area of Bordeaux was rebuilt. New streets radiated out from a market square. In 1825, Messrs Chantal and Despirou opened a restaurant and wine merchant's shop at 7 Rue Montesquieu, next to the Théâtre Français. "Le Chapon Fin" quickly became a popular address. [...] Chapon Fin was frequented by a succession of kings: Alfonso XIII of Spain, one of the restaurant's most faithful customers who had his own wine cellar, Manuel II of Portugal, the Sultan of Morocco, Queen Ranavalona of Madagascar and the Prince of Wales, later Edward VII. The Chapon Fin was also a favorite with artists such as Sarah Bernhardt, Yvette Guilbert and Toulouse Lautrec, and politicians, such as Aristide Briand, who adored the lamprey in red wine, and George Clemenceau..." [Chapon-Fin website].