London: Printed for J. Roberts, 1723. 1st Edition. , 38 pp. Lacks half-title & dedicatory leaf. Head, tailpieces. Decorative initial capital letters. 4to. 9" x 6-7/8". Disbound, now housed in an archival mylar sleeve. Age-toning, and hint of foxing. Stain to title leaf. With a nod to the missing two preliminary leaves, Very Good. Item #47547
Shaw was the son of Robert Shaw, A.M., master of the grammar school at Lichfield. On 25 June 1740 Shaw was admitted a licentiate of the College of Physicians, being then a doctor of medicine. He was subsequently admitted a candidate at the College of Physicians on 16 April 1753, and was made a fellow on 8 April of the following year. In 1752 he was appointed physician-extraordinary to George II, and the same year was created doctor of medicine at Cambridge by royal mandate. Two years later he was promoted to be physician-in-ordinary to the king, and he was the usual medical attendant on George II in his journeys to Hanover. He was nominated to the same office on the accession of George III.
Shaw contributed to the study of chemistry in England by his translations of the works of Georg Ernst Stahl and Herman Boerhaave, as well as his own writings and lectures, though he is viewed today as somewhat careless. [wiki]
This his second published work, uncommon title in the trade.