(San Francisco): C. 1932 - 1939. 1st Printing. Printed bifolium, black lettering, two slips with purple ink typed on light yellow paper. Spray painted upper wrapper in red, green, orange and black paint, small newspaper clipping advertising Milligan's is glued to the tail of the upper wrapper. Folio, 13-3/4" x 9-1/2". Self wrappers, printed/painted card stock, now housed in mylar sleeve. A G+/VG copy, soiling, foxing and scuffing to wrappers, corners and edges rubbed, small tear on left side of newspaper clipping, pencil markings at head of upper wrapper, some rust marks to head of menu and slips due to paperclips, internally the menu and slip are clean and bright, text legedable. Item #45364
According to San Francisco City Directories Milligan's operated at two locations from 1922 - 1939. From 1922 - 1930 it was located at 395 Geary Blvd. (Geary and 4th Ave.) There is no listing in the City Directory for the year 1931, as they changed locations. In 1932 they reopened at 3701 Geary Blvd. (Geary and Arguello) and they closed their doors in 1939. This menu is from the second location at Geary and Arguello (a.k.a. First Ave.).
The top of the menu reads:
"In the preparation of these Mexican and Spanish Dishes mild sweet pepper flavors are carefully blended with the several pugent spices commonly used in Mexico. These dishes are not hot with peppers and to please those who desire strong pepper flavors, we have prepared our 'Old Mexico pepper Sauce' which will be served with your order.
Being proud of San Francisco and its history, we pay homage to the romance of its early days by selecting only the finest recipes from Mexico's most famous haciendas.
SOME MEXICAN AND SPANISH DISHES EXPLAINED
Note: The pronounciation of the Spanish names of dishes is placed in brackets immediately following the name of each dish."