(n. p.): (n. d.). Ca 1889 - 1893. 57 captioned b/w photographic images to a 20 panel accordion fold-out, which is tipped-in to the verso of the front cover. Includes images of gates, gardens, monuments, animals, streetscapes, beaches, groves, railroads, landscapes, libraries, conservatories, Sutro and concludes with a 2-panel map of the grounds. NB. No text pages. Booklet: 6-1/4" x 5-1/8". Accordion fold: 5-15/16" x 99". Red card stock covers, printed in black. General wear to covers. Old interior clear tape repair along spine fold. Occasional clear tape reinforcement to accordion folds. Withal, Very Good. Item #43705
"In 1881, Adolf Sutro purchased 22 acres of undeveloped land south of Point Lobos (San Francisco) and north of Ocean Beach at the western edge of the city. It included a promontory overlooking the Pacific, with scenic views of the Marin Headlands, Mount Tamalpais, and the Golden Gate. Sutro built his mansion on a rocky ledge there, above the first Cliff House.
The grounds consisted of a spacious turreted mansion, a carriage house, and outbuildings set in expansive gardens. The estate dominated the Lands End area, with an elaborate entrance gate. He spent in excess of a million dollars to recreate an Italian style garden. It was filled with fountains, planted urns, and statues, Victorian flower beds, hedge mazes, parterres, forests of trees, a glass plant conservatory, and other garden structures. Vista points included the "observation plaza" overlooking the Cliff House, and the "Dolce far Niente Balcony," a long terrace-like structure along the cliff overlooking Ocean Beach. To provide garden decorations, he imported over 200 concrete replicas of Greek and Roman statuary from Belgium, to provide examples of European culture to visitors.
By 1883 Sutro opened his estate's gardens, named Sutro Heights, to the public and allowed strolling the grounds for the donation of a dime. That small fee helped to pay the 17 gardeners, machinists, and drivers he employed to maintain the grounds.
Other features he developed on his land holdings in the Lands End area include: the Sutro Baths (1894-1964), the second and elaborate Victorian style Cliff House (1896-1907) and an amusement park named Sutro Pleasure Grounds at Merrie Way (1896-1898). To provide inexpensive transportation for visitors to these he built a passenger steam train from downtown San Francisco to Lands End." [Wiki].