London: Printed by W. H. Cox, 5, Great Queen Street, 1842. 1st Printing. 20 pp. Laid-in engraved calling card for "Mr Philip Rose". Front cover with wood engraved image of the Hospital. 12mo. 7-1/8" x 4-13/16". Off-white stiff stock paper covers, sewn. Some wear & soiling to covers, with extensive pencil notes[by Rose?] to rear cover [regarding hospital subscription lists & expected demand for beds]. A VG copy. Item #43629
Now the Royal Brompton Hospital, the hospital is the largest specialist heart and lung centre in the United Kingdom.
"The hospital was founded in the 1840s by Philip Rose, the first meeting to establish the Hospital was on 8 March 1841. It was to be known as The Hospital for Consumption and Diseases of the Chest. It amalgamated on 25 May 1841 with The West London Dispensary for Diseases of the Chest, which was based at 83 Wells Street, near Oxford Street. Little is now known about the Dispensary. On 28 March 1842, an out-patients branch of the hospital was opened at 20 Great Marlborough Street. Later that year they acquired a lease on their first building for in-patients at The Manor House, Chelsea, which held space for 20 beds and the first in-patients were admitted on 13 September 1842. Admittance was to be by the then customary method of recommendation by the Governors and subscribers. Manor House remained in use as a convalescence home after the hospital had moved to the Brompton site.
In common with other hospitals at the time, the hospital was to be financed entirely from charitable donations, legacies and fund raising. Rose travelled the country to explain the aims of the hospital, setting up 14 provincial associations, 157 churches promised to preach special sermons as a means of fund raising. The famous singer, Jenny Lind also gave concerts, including one at Her Majesty's Theatre in July 1848, which raised £1,606. Besides Philip Rose, the early supporters included William Augustus Guy, Charles Dickens, and Queen Victoria, who became a patron, with an annual subscription of £10." [Wiki]
The booklet comprised of a list of personages associated with the hospital [p. 2], "Appeal" [pp. 3 - 4], "Report of the Public Meeting on the 25th May, 1841. (Taken from the Notes of the Reporter to the Morning Herald)" [pp. 5 - 15] & "Donations and Subscriptions to The Hospital for Consumption and Diseases of the Chest." [pp. 16 - 20].
Rare booklet regarding the origin of this famous instution; we find no copies recorded on OCLC.