[Buffalo]: Sage, Sons & Co. Lith. (n. d.). Circa 1866. Single sheet, printed recto only. Hand-colored lithograph of the Dansville Water Cure institute and surrounding area, including pedestrians and carriages. Lithograph (not including text): 21-1/4" x 33-3/8". Sheet: 24-1/4" x 35-3/8". Sturdy paper. In matte board frame. Light damp-staining to edges, faint foxing; some uneven toning. Archival hinge mounts to top edge, holding print to mat board. About VG, withal. Item #42926
Lovely view of the Dansville Water Cure institute, otherwise known as the Jackson Sanitorium. The facility's physicians as printed are F. Wilson Hurd, Harriet N. Austin, and Jas. H. Jackson, and the "Physician in Chief" is Jas. C. [James Caleb] Jackson; James Hathaway Jackson was James C. Jackson's son, and Harriet N. Austin his adopted daughter, who would become a partner in the business. Travel accomodations are also noted: "Stages leave Wayland on the Buffalo, N.Y., & Erie Rail Road Three times daily for Dansville."
Founded in 1854, the Dansville Water Cure struggled through successive failed ownership for several years until it was purchased by F. Wilson Hurd, who brought in James Caleb Jackson to revitalize the facility. Jackson successfully did so, turning the Sanitorium into a renowned center for holistic health, emphasizing simple nutritious foods, exercise, an "American costume" of loose apparel, and progressive politics. The Sanitorium would host such speakers as Sojourner Truth, Fredrick Douglass, Elizabeth Cady Stanton, Susan B. Anthony, Frances Willard, Bronson Alcott, Jerry McCauley, Kate Douglas Wiggin, William Dean Howells, and Clara Barton. Barton, who was also a patient at the Sanatorium in 1876, would later go on to purchase a home in Dansville; the first chapter of the American Red Cross was founded in Dansville in 1881, in honor of Barton, who was at the time still lobbying for the organization in Washington.
The Sanitorium also treated Ellen G. White's children for diptheria, and consequently become associated with the Seventh Day Adventist movement, as well as an inspiration for John Harvey Kellogg; James C. Jackson invented "granula," the precursor to modern granola, at the Sanitorium in 1863.
Scarce. OCLC locates just one institutional holding.