[Louth]: 1795. Bifolium. 2 unnumbered pages of printed text; title printed to verso of second leaf, else second leaf blank. 9-3/4" x 7-5/8". White rag paper, bottom and fore-edge deckled. Black printed text. Two fold lines; occasional loss to fold lines, minimally affecting text; light general wear and toning. VG. Item #42915
Auction catalogue from the 1795 sale of 38 lots of the freehold estate owned by the late Charles Chaplin, Esq., with manuscript prices and related notes in pencil and ink in a contemporary hand throughout. Occasional pencil notations and markings correct the printed acreage estimates of some lots.
The Chaplins were members of the upper gentry and influential landowners in Lincolnshire. When the Louth Navigation -- a canal running from Louth, in Lincolnshire, to Tetney Haven, at the mouth of the Humber -- was completed in 1770, Charles Chaplin managed to secure a 99 year lease of the tolls, despite the terms of the canal's Act of Parliament limiting such leases to just seven years. The Louth Navigation Trust (per the Louth Canal website) notes that control and management of the tolls became "virtually hereditary," and led to considerable commercial opposition to the Chaplins and their political influence by the 1820s.
The catalog includes columns for "Names of Plots, &c."; "Acres by Estimation"; "State of Land"; and "Occupiers." Anyone wishing to view the premises is encouraged to apply to one Mr. J. Curtis, of Saltfleetry.