(South Norwalk, CT): Nash Engineering Co., (n. d.). Ca. 1923. 43 b/w photographic leaves (5 laid in). 48 original silver-gelatin photos (7.25" x 9.5") exhibiting the factory, assembly floor, testing area, wide range of liquid ring vacuum pumps, and the numerous industries, commercial buildings, and homes in which they were installed. Photographs all with typed identification information & captions on verso, a couple with stamps at lower fore-edge of image. Oblong format: 8" x 11". Black flexible dark-brown calf Sieber System binder, yapp edges, gilt stamped to bottom edge of front cover. Moderate wear to binding (rubbing to leather at edges, some scuffing). Minor bowing to photos and covers (1 laid-in photograph more significantly edge-worn and age-toned). Withal, a VG example. Item #41435
This exceptional salesman sample photo album for the Nash Engineering Company in South Norwalk, CT, provides an excellent visual history of this pioneering producer of liquid ring vacuum pumps. Although their vital importance to the modern age remains mostly unrecognized, the liquid ring pump revolutionized water, heating, electric power, and sewage systems, pulp and papaer production, and proved absolutely vital in gas extraction, and many other general industrial applications in the 20th century. These unsung workhorses are essential to modern physical plant systems. Nash (1852-1923) invented the liquid ring vacuum pump, and was the holder of over 100 US patents for pumps, engines, water meters, and other equipment. He founded the Nash Engineering Company in 1905, and by 1914 filed the US patent for the liquid ring vacuum pump, which he had first employed in the reinforced concrete factory he built at Wilson Point Road, shown here in the photos. The photos also show the testing department, test plant, vacuum pumps in the storehouse, and the test room switch board. The photos lavishly illustrate many pumps with varying horsepower, and applications such as those to maintain condenser vacuum on large steam turbine generators, those used on paper machines to dewater paper pulp slurry and extract water from press felt fabrics, as well as those that could be applied to molded pulp products. Of particular interest are the many photos of pumps installed for physical plant systems in such buildings as the Sherman Hotel, Chicago IL; boiler room of the Ohio River Edison Company; Price Brothers COmpany, Ltd., Quebec, Canada; Chatsworth Apartments, 72nd & Riverside, NY; Cunard Building, 25 Broadway, NY, and many others. Of interest are the photos of the Nash display at the Industrial Exposition, Grand Central Palace, NY in 1914, as well as the award granted to the Nash Engineering Company by the War Department during World War I for their material assistance in obtaining the victory of the allies.
No institutional holdings located on OCLC. Rare.