A PORTFOLIO Of PICTURES Of CALIFORNIA COLLEGE Of ARTS & CRAFTS. Oakland, California. Promotional Brochure, Frederick Meyer, H. - President.

A PORTFOLIO Of PICTURES Of CALIFORNIA COLLEGE Of ARTS & CRAFTS. Oakland, California.

San Francisco: Printed by Taylor & Taylor, [1936]. 1st printing (Rocq 962). OCLC records just one institutional holding, Cal State Library; Rocq adds Cal Hist. Soc. Unpaginated, though 32 pp. P. 3, introductory text; p. 32, colophon. Illustrated with 30 captioned b/w photographic illustrations, by Don K. Oliver. 8-1/8" x 6-3/8". Black paper wrappers, spiral bound, with red title label to front wrapper, printed in white. Design by Gerald Horton Bath, San Francisco. Minor wear. Very Good Plus. Item #39781

Iin 1907 by Frederick Meyer founded California College of the Arts to provide an education for artists and designers that would integrate both theory and practice.
When the Arts and Crafts movement originated in Europe during the late 19th century, Frederick Meyer was a cabinetmaker in his native Germany. He was involved in the movement when he came to live in the Bay Area in 1902, establishing a cabinet shop & teaching at the Mark Hopkins Institute of Art.

In 1906, the earthquake & fire destroyed both his shop and the institute. At a meeting of the Arts and Crafts Society shortly after the disaster, he articulated his dream of a school that would fuse the practical and ideal goals of the artist. Subsequently, in Berkeley during 1907, Meyer founded the School of the California Guild of Arts and Crafts with $45 in cash, 43 students, three classrooms, and three teachers: himself, the ceramicist Rosa Taussig, and the artist Perham W. Nahl. Meyer’s wife, Laetitia, was the school secretary. Talented designer Isabelle Percy West joined the faculty that fall.

In 1922, Meyer bought the four-acre James Treadwell estate at Broadway and College Avenue in Oakland. Students, faculty, alumni, and the Meyer family all pitched in to transform the dilapidated buildings and grounds into a college campus. Meyer, a skilled horticulturist, did the landscaping, and some of his work is still in evidence today. In 1936 the school was renamed the California College of Arts and Crafts. Meyer remained president until his retirement in 1944. [cca website].

This brochure, no doubt, issued on this 1936 change of name.

Price: $175.00

See all items in Americana