London: Loxley Brothers Limited, 1923. 1st edition. viii, 89 - 176 pp. Numerous full page advertisements interspersed. Includes an illustration by Katherine Mansfield. 8-1/2" x 5-1/2". Printed pale yellow paper wrappers. VG. Ex-lib., with small library stamps to front cover and edge of text block. Evidence of sticker removal to front cover. Spine slightly sunned. Minimal foxing present. Otherwise a very tight, clean copy. Item #32992
The journal started in 1923 as a monthly under the editorship of Murry, intended as a mouthpiece for D. H. Lawrence and himself. From 1927 it became a quarterly entitled the New Adelphi. Murry's editorship ended with a D. H. Lawrence memorial number in 1930, and the periodical became the Adelphi, Incorporating the New Adelphi, which ran until 1955. Contributors to the three series include W. B. Yeats, T. S. Eliot, A. Bennett, H. G. Wells, Cecil Day-Lewis, George Orwell, and W.H. Auden. (The Concise Oxford Companion to English Literature. Ed. Margaret Drabble and Jenny Stringer. Oxford university Press, 2007).