Edinburgh: Printed by Robert Fleming and Company, 1731. 1st edition thus. xi, , 46 pp. Head- tailpieces. 8vo: A - D8. 8" x 5-1/4". Bound in later red cloth covered card stock covers, with each gathering staggered in the binding, such that it is extended length-wise to 8" 1933 pos to ffep. Period pos to t.p. top margin. Very Good. Item #31541.1
The Merchant Maiden Hospital was founded in 1695 for the education of daughters of decayed merchant burgesses of Edinburgh. The chief contributor was Mary Erskine (after whom one of Edinburgh's schools is now named). She purchased the original house and garden-grounds near Bristo Park. The school later moved to a building situated beside the Meadows, which was begun in1816. It is of Grecian character, and accommodated about 80 girls between the ages of seven and seventeen. The building included sleeping accommodation, three school-rooms, a meeting room, a kitchen, washing house, laundry and a chapel. The highest floor consisted of a series of rooms, extending the whole length of the building, used for drying clothes during the winter months. Mary Erskine later went on to found the Trades' Maiden Hospital in Edinburgh.
This copy bound with other material on Maiden Hospital, see TavBooks ID #39863. Price is for this one volume containing all Maiden Hospital material.